Wednesday, January 22, 2014

everything hurts and i'm dying


well, not quite. but there is a smidgen of truth to what my girl leslie knope has to say.

i've spent the past two weeks getting back into a healthy state of mind. since i am a firm believer in "baby steps," the first week was all about getting used to cooking and eating healthy food again. which was surprisingly painless - until i wanted to eat ALL OF THE FRENCH FRIES. but i didn't. though i do believe in one cheat meal/day per week because otherwise you will want something so much that you binge like crazy and feel more bloated than this blowfish:

surprised little sucker, isn't he?

so after i eased into that, it was time to go back to the dreaded gym and spend some time with my best frienemy, the treadmill.


personally, my biggest issue with the gym is actually getting there. once i'm in the building, i can usually find the strength to pound out a 45 minute to an hour workout, whether it be a zumba class (my fave) or on the treadmill (not my fave). i've been making it stick and holding myself to the commitment, even when all i wanted to do was to go home and sleep.


the results have been good so far, minus the fact that my body is not quite used to the pattern yet. and by that, i obviously mean that muscles i forgot i had hurt and i struggle to stay awake past 9pm. in fact, last night, i fell asleep on the couch at 8pm for the second week in a row. i also happened to have a glass of wine in my hand. and the noise it made when it fell is what woke me up (note: no wine glasses were harmed in the writing of this post nor in the sleeping on the couch.) 

i'm happy that i've made it through two weeks on my 52 week plan to a better betsy, but it has not come easy. and it will continue to not be easy. and it will probably make my muscles hurt even more. but at least i know now that i have some.

No comments:

Post a Comment